Here are 10 cool facts about the Sea Urchins:
- There are more than 200 species of sea urchins throughout the world such as, spiny sea urchin, red sea urchin, pincushion sea urchin etc.
- The diameter of the sea urchin is on average 1.2 - 3. 9 inches.
- Sea Urchins are round in shape and are symmetrical species. They can be evenly divided into 5 (like most other echinoderms e.g. sea biscuit, sea star, sea cucumber etc.
- Sea Urchins live in warm waters in rocky environment, and in the coral reef ecosystems depending on the species
- The color of the sea urchin varies depending on it's species.
- Sea Urchins are omnivores which means that they eat both plant and animal.
- Some species of sea urchins have venom in their spikes, e.g. black spiny sea urchin.
- During spring time is when sea urchins mate
- Sea urchins have a special mouth called the 'Aristotle's lantern' which allows them to drill a hole in the rock.
- Red sea urchins can live up to 200 years in the wild!!! That's crazy!!
See you guys in the next blog!